principal software engineer
- the low-down -
The Guild is a new hospitality concept that empowers travelers to experience their destination as a local, while enjoying the soft sheets and fancy amenities they've come to expect from a boutique hotel. Think of us as one-part eclectic home, one-part boutique hotel, and one-part college friend who takes you to the secret spots and hidden gems.
Since our March 2016 launch, we’ve been off to a blistering start. We’ve raised some money from well-respected West Coast venture investors, grown our revenues to a scale unimaginable for most 2-yr-old startups, and expanded rapidly beyond our home market of Austin, TX. Far more importantly, our mature properties have a net promoter score of 84 (yes, you heard that correctly--our customers love us).
This growth has been been made in spite of our reliance up to this point on third-party apps and systems held together with chewing gum and duct tape. We’re proud of the resourcefulness (and infinite patience) of our team. However, it’s high time we build custom cutting-edge tech on our own terms and without losing the scrappiness that has gotten us to where we are today.
- your role -
To fulfill our destiny as the irrefutable travel experience of the future, we’ll need to break technology boundaries and set a new standard for a frictionless, delightful online-to-offline user experience. You’ll work closely with our growing product and engineering teams to build game-changing mobile and web apps, next-level smart-home automations, and seamless API integrations with on-demand services to enable our core business model of a 100% virtual front-desk and check-in process. You'll be responsible for the entire feature development lifecycle, from high-level architecture, design, and prototyping, through implementation, testing, and deployment to production. You’ll immerse yourself in our end users’ greatest pain points and design impactful solutions by constantly soliciting feedback and iterating rapidly.
In addition, your responsibilities will include:
- Writing and approving all technical specs
- Providing technical insights to peers across the organization
- Implementing key features across the entire tech-stack
- Managing technical efforts that require multiple developers
QUALITIES & PERSONALITY TRAITS PREFERRED
- 7+ years experience as a full-stack developer. You’re a master of UI, RESTful APIs, DevOps, and everything in between.
- Experience working with a document-based DB
- Comfortable with Linux / Jenkins
- Feel at home working in a dynamic environment with constant and rapid iteration. You’re the MVP of building MVPs.
- Spidey sense for product and user experience. Last year’s halloween costume featured a black turtleneck and dad jeans.
- Previous stint at a high-growth startup
- Experience with React Native
- Comfortable with mySQL and AWS
- “Perfect is the enemy of good” was your high school yearbook quote
- Proficiency with a crock pot. Slow roasted poultry dishes preferred; vegan alternatives welcomed
- Your gif and meme game is strong to very-strong
- Generous insurance (health, dental, vision)
- Meaningful equity upside
- Latest and greatest hardware required to perform your role
- Free and discounted stays at our well-appointed suites
- Gratuitous helpings of breakfast tacos and viral videos at the Thursday morning all-hands meeting
- A spot at our April 2021 NYSE bell ringing ceremony (exact date TBD)
- your team -
We're a group of people who take our work seriously, but never ourselves. We celebrate weirdness, work our asses off, and enjoy the journey. We all wear multiple hats and are working on at least 5 projects at a time. Life is never boring here. We're risk takers. We care about each other and lend helping hands all day, every day. We say no to politics and drama!