head of sales & bd
- the low-down -
The Guild is a new hospitality concept that empowers travelers to experience their destination as a local, while enjoying the soft sheets and fancy amenities they’ve come to expect from a boutique hotel. Think of us as one-part eclectic home, one-part boutique hotel, and one-part college friend who takes you to the secret spots in their city.
Since our March 2016 launch, we’ve been off to a blistering start. We’ve raised a few bucks, grown our revenues to a scale unimaginable to most 2 yr old startups and posted some downright glorious unit economics. We’re most proud of the fact that our NPS at our mature properties is 84 (yes, you heard that correctly)
But that’s just the tip of the shrinking polar ice cap. Given our lean team, our sales & BD efforts have been modest up to this point. We’re proud of the scrappy, resourceful efforts our team has executed in the name of closing clients. However, we’re ready to take our sales efforts to next level to fulfill our destiny as the indisputable travel experience for young business travelers.
- your role -
Working closely with the co-founder, you’ll be tasked with establishing The Guild as the preferred travel brand among discerning millennial business travelers... and their corporate travel departments. As we continue our rapid growth and expand the team, you will be expected to recruit and lead a team of fellow hustlers to take us from obscurity to ubiquity.
- Starting with a blank slate, craft The Guild sales messaging and positioning to one that consistently resonates with our target audience
- Structure and aggressively manage a conversion funnel. The Guild is an insanely metrics-driven. Poets needn’t apply
- Establish and codify a repeatable sales model which can be distributed to a large sales team
- Sell door to door. Our highest frequency travelers (e.g. management consultants) have LTVs in excess of $50k, justifying the time spent converting prospective clients at the W lobby bar.
- Work hand-in-hand with our “Royalty” team to ensure that high-potential guests receive the royal treatment they so deserve
- Convert new high-potential guests into power users and then into evangelists
- Encourage those evangelists to spread the Guild gospel throughout their companies
- Solicit intros to company HR or travel to evolve guest-level relationships into corporate-level
- Prepare, deliver and win sales pitches to persnickety Fortune 1000 HR & travel departments
QUALITIES & PERSONALITY TRAITS PREFERRED
- You're optimistic to a fault; you see the opportunity in every setback or challenge
- Your adolescent side hustle was door-to-door sales of tupperware products and eternal salvation.
- Bonus points if you sold the highest volume of Samoas and Tagalongs in your Girl Scout troop
- Your favorite movies are American Hustle and American Gangster
- Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends and Influence people is among your favorite reads
- You’re immune to rejection. In fact, it fuels you to convert skeptics into evangelists
- You don’t take no for an answer
- You’re a great listener and thrive on collecting actionable feedback from customers
- Strategic thinker able to set high-level objectives and translate them into a repeatable, high-performance sales org (think Wolf of Wall St minus the quaaludes, etc)
- High energy and even higher EQ. You chit-chat in Ubers, know where your barista grew up, and make new friends on airplanes... but obviously not if they have headphones on
- A metrics-driven mindset paired with an unhealthy obsession with winning. You take great pride in lighting up the scoreboard and outperforming your KPI targets
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills with a desire to develop internal talent and lead cross-functional teams
- Unfailingly optimistic; you see the opportunity in every difficulty. It sounds corny, but it is also necessary
- Self-directed and excited to set your own work-plan
- 4+ years business development or sales background in a fast growing, early stage startup
- Strategic thinker able to set high-level objectives and translate them into an unstoppable sales machine (think Wolf of Wall St minus the quaaludes, etc)
- Strong proficiency with a crock pot. Slow roasted poultry dishes preferred, vegan alternatives welcomed
- Your GIF and meme game is strong to very-strong
- JOB PERKS
- Generous insurance coverage (health, dental, vision)
- Meaningful equity upside. Lake Austin real estate ain't getting any cheaper
- Latest and greatest hardware required to perform your role
- Gratuitous helpings of breakfast tacos and viral videos at the Thursday morning all-hands meeting
- A spot at our April 2021 NYSE bell ringing ceremony (exact date TBD)
- your team -
We're a group of people who take our work seriously, but never ourselves. We celebrate weirdness, work our asses off, and enjoy the journey. We all wear multiple hats and are working on at least 5 projects at a time. Life is never boring here. We're risk takers. We care about each other and lend helping hands all day, every day. We say no to politics and drama!